"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

28 June 2010

'Poo Free

After reading this blog post ... and this one ... and this one ... and after realizing that this might better for my child and if I'm going to put it on her head I should really try it myself ... I decided to try going 'poo free. TRY. I was really hoping it would work for her but dubious and I would convert. I love the lather of shampoo. And the smell. And I knew that baking soda and water and apple cider vinegar would give me neither. At least not the smell I was wanting. And, honestly, vainly, I didn't want to deal with the greasy hair transition. But, amazingly (because I tend to have greasy hair), I didn't have to. My hair's fine. No grease. No transition. Weird. What did I notice? Clean hair. Softer hair. A little more body. And (this is the only negative) a faint scent of apple cider vinegar. Boo. According to my husband, apple cider vinegar is one of the worst smells in the world. His hell would smell like apple cider vinegar. So that's a problem for us. But then, just before writing this, I read this blog post. Not only do I like her "Simple Method" idea, because the soda mixture in a bottle would be more accessible than mine in the cup, but I like the idea of adding a cinnamon stick and maybe some essential oil to the rinse. Some friends had already suggested essential oil so that was on my grocery list anyway, but a cinnamon/something woody combination sounds kinda nice. I can't do vanilla, too sweet. I suppose I'll decide when I'm looking at all my choices :-) Update to follow soon.

3 comments:

  1. Will be looking forward to this update! I have been considering this too, since I can't afford my dear Aveda shampoo anymore and the Trader Joe's stuff is making my hair break. I'm just so petrified of the transition...I HATE greasy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting that it's working! I tried it and it was a dismal flop. My hair just got greasier and gummier so after 2 weeks I shampooed it again and it was pure heaven. But I hope it keeps working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen-
    I don't use shampoo either! (compliments of Marianne's influence :). I love it. I don't even think about it anymore, it seems so normal. I didn't have the transition period either. My hair is fine, and it feels a lot lighter and has more body now.

    ReplyDelete