"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

02 January 2011

New Years Resolution - Paring Down


I spent one evening last week reading blogs about minimalist living. I already feel like we have too much stuff (even after a big garage sale purge last summer), so reading about the advantages of minimalist living was a "oh yea, that's another good reason" experience. I know that we will never be a family that truly lives minimally, but paring down would be nice. Less stuff, less cleaning, more reusing. It all sounds nice.

So, while reading the story behind Rowdy Kittens, I decided that instead of only keeping 100 things (which is what they did and what we will never do), I could at least get rid of 100 things. So, one of my New Years resolutions is to get rid of 100 things every week during the month of January. My math whiz of a husband responded, "Wow, Jen. That's like getting rid of 400 things! Can we really do that?!" I think so, but we'll see. I just had to promise him that I wouldn't get rid of any of his things.

So my plan is to go room by room and sort things for keeping, next summer's garage sale (which I know isn't really getting rid of them yet, but at least they'll be in a box in the attic rather than out and about in the house), resale (used children's clothes stores, Buffalo Exchange, etc.), and Goodwill. Can we do it? 400 things? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment