"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

25 January 2011

Our Baby

At 10 weeks, our baby should have had ears, elbows, toes, and a beating heart. I don’t know if our baby had any, all, or none of those, but something must have been wrong because we lost our littlest child a month ago today. I wish I could have heard her beating heart (Ryan and I both thought it was a girl). I wish I could have known whether I lost a son or daughter. But I never will.

I miss things that were months away from happening: birthing her, seeing his or her face for the first time, nursing her, introducing Riley to her little brother or sister, cuddling on the bed with Ryan and our two kids and feeling amazed at the little family God created for us. And now part of that family will always be missing.

Even though I trust that there is reason behind miscarriage, I will forever miss meeting one of my children. When someone asks, “How many kids do you have?,” I will say one and think two. And I’m sure a moment of hesitation and sadness will flash across my face, and if they see it they won’t understand. But I will, for the umpteenth time remember the child I never got to meet and feel the scar that was left when my baby died.

7 comments:

  1. Jen I'm so so sorry, we're praying for you and Ryan and can't wait to give you a huge hug in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hailey and I love you, miss you, and are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear, Jen & Ryan. The loss of expectations are what I would imagine to be the hardest part about having a miscarriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remain touched and inspired by the courage and transparency you have with your loss and grief. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am thinking and praying for you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen you were in my thoughts tonight, and I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I grieve with you and Ryan.
    Mother to mother, I know the pain and the heartache firsthand and although our loss was almost ten years ago, I still hesitate when asked how many children I have. I am here for you if you ever want a shoulder or a friend who understands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers ladies and brothers. I really appreciate your kind words and understanding. And we certainly need your prayers. Jen

    ReplyDelete