"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

28 February 2010

Beet Borscht


Fawna brought us over beet soup a couple weeks ago and I had to try her recipe this evening. Yumm! I love beets, so I can appreciate almost anything with beets in it. Ryan, however, does not like beets. Or at least he didn't think he did before he ate Fawna's soup. Now he guesses that he does, at least in soup. Thanks Fawna!

3 T olive oil
1 large onion
2 1/2 c.cabbage
5-6 beets
3/4 lb. russet potatoes (I put in carrots instead, but Fawna used potatoes and they were good)
8 c vegetable stock (I used chicken, it's what I had)
1 c drained can tomatoes, chopped
1 t lemon juice
sour cream (I used plain yogurt) and parsley (I used basil) for garnish

Cook onion and cabbage in olive oil for 5-6 minutes. Add stock, beets, potatoes and/or carrots, and tomatoes and simmer for about 1/2 hour until the veggies are cooked. Add lemon, salt and pepper before serving. Top with sour cream or yogurt and herb garnish if you want.

Fawna's original recipe directed the cook puree the soup. Fawna left it chunky and I liked it that way. I pureed about 1/4 of it and left the rest in chunks.

It was the first dinner time I didn't make something different for Riley. She LOVED it!

4 comments:

  1. YUM. I love beets. I also love cooking only one dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Marianne. I'm gonna have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuma. This looks super good and makes me want to try it with some yellow beets we have frozen from last season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Do beets freeze well? What do you freeze them in?

    ReplyDelete