"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

26 April 2010

First Lines

I know I should just write and come back to the first line later, but I usually sit there with my coffee or tea whispering various combinations of words until something feels good on my tongue. I need the momentum to begin. After all, first lines are of utmost importance. Can you identify these?

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.

"Where's papa going with that ax?," said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast.

Happy families are all unlike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen. It was true, too.

Mother died today. Or yesterday, I don't know.

It was a pleasure to burn.

There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.

And of course ...
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

7 comments:

  1. Lolita...Charlotte's Web...so familiar but can't remember!...don't know...Faulkner?...don't know...familiar again...Pride and Prejudice...what a fun exercise! I used to keep journals of first lines when I was a teenager:) Dickens's first lines always took up half a page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all the ones Axon mentioned are the only ones I get right off...oh and Mary Lennox...who is from The Secret Garden.
    First Lines are so important...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All terribly familiar but the only ones I could pin down are Lolita,The Stranger, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and Pride and Prejudice. I agree, first lines are the hardest as they set the tone and get you going for the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't have gotten all of them either. Probably just 4 or 5 of them while racking my brain for the others. But here they are:
    Lolita
    Charlotte's Web
    Anna Karenina
    The Secret Garden
    The Stranger
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    Pride and Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, I think there was a line from Fahrenheit 451 too...

    Andrew knew Lolita
    I knew Charlotte's Web
    Neither of us recognized Anna K
    Nor the Secret Garden
    We knew The Stranger
    We looked up Fahrenheit 451
    We knew Voyage,
    And I knew Pride and Prejudice (only because someone recently convinced me that I should read it based on it's opening line)

    Very fun exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I find Andrew knowing the Lolita line a bit entertaining ... maybe it's because I can picture him hamming up the recitation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! I couldn't place The Stranger, although it sounded familiar, and I had no clue on the Fareinheit 451. I guess I should put that one on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete