"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

07 January 2010

I dunno ... I dunno ... I dunno

As a new teacher, I learned quickly that "I dunno" is one of a middle schoolers favorite phrases. They can use it anywhere, in response to almost any question. "I don't remember" is used when "I dunno" won't work (or won't work any more). This is my funniest "I dunno" story. And it just happened yesterday.

The kids are creating reading profiles. Having come in half-way through the year, I wanted to get some more background about the feelings and interests they have regarding reading. They have to answer questions such as, What's a memory you have of reading or being read to as a child? What was your favorite kid's book? What's your favorite book now? How do you find new books? How do you feel about reading? Etc.

I have one student, let's call her Susan, who was especially struggling. Here's how our conversation went.

I walked over to Susan's desk. "It looks like you're having a hard time filling out your reading profile," I commented.
"Yea, I dunno any of the answers," she said without looking up.
"Really ... like what?" I asked, wanting to focus on a real question rather than a general problem.
"I dunno who taught me to read."
"Well that makes sense. It was probably a long time ago, huh?" I said, remembering that a lot of students had a problem with this question.
"And I dunno what my favorite book is," Susan added.
"That's hard for me too because I don't really have a favorite book. I have lots of favorites."
Wanting me to know that she had a more difficult reason, she added, "Well I haven't hardly read any books. I can't think of any."
"You can't think of any books you've read?" I said, certain that I must have misunderstood her.
"No." I had understood.
"Wow, really. Well, what was your favorite book as a kid?"
"I dunno."
"Well, what was the last book you read?"
"I dunno."
"Well just before break you did a book report. What book did you do yours on?"
"I don't remember. But I didn't like it."
"So you really can't think of any books you've ever read?"
"Nope. I don't really read."
I know that Susan does read. I see her read every day. She must have read hundreds of books over the course of her life. So I asked, "How old are you?"
"I dunno," she said. I paused, got a smirk on my face, and then started laughing at her, rather loudly in fact. Now, I think I probably laugh at students more than most teachers (it's one of the things I love about working with 11 to 13 year olds), but I don't remember the last time I laughed this hard at a kid. She looked up at me, confused by my reaction.
And then, after a moment of brief analysis, "Oh no, I do know the answer to that!" she said, and, after a brief moment of embarrassment, started laughing with me.
And all was well again in Room 9.

1 comment:

  1. I've already re-told your story. This cracked me up. Teaching the middle grades is a special calling. I am glad you laugh!

    ReplyDelete