"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

03 January 2010

Quiche

Quiche is the new soup in the Carroll house. Several years ago, the meal I would make with whatever was in the fridge at the end of the week was usually a stir fry. During the last couple years, it's been soup. Now, it's quiche. I never new how lovely and versatile quiche was.

Growing up, none of my siblings or I liked quiche. I'm not sure if it was how my mother prepared it or if we were just picky, but she gave up on it after only a couple tries. So, for the last couple decades, I thought I didn't like quiche. Not so! Last summer, while trying to figure out what else I could do with the Italian kale in our CSA box, I thought I'd give quiche another try. After all, I didn't use to like asparagus or blue cheese and now they're a couple favorites (too bad they're kinda expensive). So, I made some quiche with onion, mushrooms, and kale. Loved it! We both did (but Ryan's less picky than me so that was no surprise).

So now quiche is a staple, an easy, meatless, fall-back dinner. Got onions, mushrooms, kale or chard or even spinach? Make quiche. Leftover ham slices from lunch and broccoli that's about to go bad? Make quiche. Leftover salmon from last night's dinner, chives, and parmesan or asiago? Make quiche. I'm pretty convinced that you can through almost anything into the eggs/raw milk & cream/cayenne mixture and make a great quiche.

Now I just have to find that perfect crust recipe. I just haven't got one I'm happy with. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, crust. It is my nemesis. I make Mom's take on Betty Crocker crust, which is magic in her hands but questionable in mine. That said, even poor crust hasn't ruined my fondness for quiche, and our menu for this week includes bacon and cheddar and (whatever else) quiche. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you post your recipe for the filling? Eggs/Raw milk and cream/Cayenne isn't quite specific enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny because I don't always do it the same way. I mostly look at the consistency after I add whatever extra stuff and then add more cream or egg depending on how it looks or whether I'm in the mood for a more eggy quiche or more creamy quiche. But basically, I do 4-5 eggs, 1/2 cup raw milk, 1/2 cup half n' half, a 1/2 teaspoonish of both cayenne and nutmeg as well as salt and pepper, a cup of some kind of cheese, and then whatever else sounds good. Then, depending on what it looks like, I usually add either another egg or more half n' half. I hope that's kind of helpful, at least it's better than eggs/raw milk and cream/cayenne, eh? Anyone else have a great quiche recipe they want to share?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have found a love for the quiche...unfortunately my husband is not so pleased with it so I make it less and less.
    When I do make it, I use the Nourishing Traditions crust...it isn't as much work as some of her recipes and (though I'm NOT picky at all so take this with a grain of salt) I actually loved it and I can't cook/bake or even make box mac and cheese all that well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried that recipe ... will have to do it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete