"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

19 January 2010

The Problem with Vacations

Ryan and I played hooky today. We went to central Oregon on Sunday (having Monday off because of MLK day), called in subs last night, and enjoyed our extra day looking at beautiful snow-capped mountains and drinking coffee at Sisters Coffee Company. I think everyone should play hooky, guilt-free, at least once every few months. But I guess we have the advantage of calling in a sub. Some people might not have that, and that would be a bummer for their boss.

But the problem with vacations is that sometimes it feels worse when you come back than it did when you left. And by you I mean I. When I go on vacation, sometimes it's so rejuvenating that I'm excited to get back to "normal" life because I'm convinced that this time I can do everything, and better. But sometimes, yes like this time, I feel great when I'm away and then I come back and think, really? this is the life I chose? what can I cross off my schedule this week?

After I finish grumbling (both inside and to my husband) I realize that I'm just reaping the life I've sown, as crazy and too often unhealthy as it is. I have illusions that it will change when this or that happens, but it won't, not unless I make it change. It's a human liability, I believe, that we too often think that life happens to us. It does (yes, I am a divine determinist) and it doesn't (I have almost limitless choice).

And I really don't want my life to be just like a vacation, because then where would the fun be in vacations? But maybe a little bit more relaxation? That would be healthier for us all.

So choices here I come. Harken, New Years' resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. It's true you become numb to fun when you have it too much. But I don't know, I would rather have that problem than being numb from un-fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, I agree. I don't think we're at risk to becoming numb to fun around here, especially since I went back to work. If anything, I think we're forgetting how important and healthy it is to relax and do nothing. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete