"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

01 January 2010

Resolutions

I'm a big believer in New Year's Resolutions, though I fail at as many as I keep (if not more). Having an external reason to start fresh is invigorating, kinda like a big clothing sale makes buying something you don't need and may not wear more exciting ... and you may actually wear it more because it was "such a good deal". My husband doesn't buy this logic, but I think it's pretty sound.

So, New Year's resolutions:
1. Write more (ergo this blog and a children's writing program I just started)
2. Spend more time reflecting (I'm hoping this will make me grow up more quickly, but I'm not sure that's a realistic hope)
3. Learn to love my husband more like I love my daughter, unconditionally
4. Eat more real food (http://realfood.info/)
5. Do yoga more often ... makes me feel so good, inside and out
6. Lose the rest of the pregnancy weight by spring break (not really a goal I want to make public, but oh well)

Six goals is enough, right? Too many maybe? I don't know. And I don't know why I'd be more motivated this year than I was last year or the year before or the year before that. But I do want to live a better life, truly I do, and I think getting better at these things would help me do that.

The difficult part is coming up with strategies to keep my goals. My strategies rarely work because the desire I feel for something in the moment (vegging in front of the TV, baking and eating chocolate cake, thinking about yoga instead of doing it ... maybe all of these at once?) is almost always a stronger feeling than my desire to meet my long term goal of actually being a healthier person. I guess I'm hedonistic that way. But resolution means to solve again right? Re = again. So I guess that's the point of New Year's resolutions, to try, once again, to tackle things I've failed at before.

So here we go 2010!

7 comments:

  1. I am the same..trying and trying and trying again with the new year's resolutions...but I can't get my Father's voice out of my head saying "try, try again" so I think Why not?
    we have a few similar goals this year...maybe after we move we could work on them together? Namely the more yoga part and the one you'd rather not share...maybe a little soccer for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Wouldn't soccer be so fun! I could use some accountability. As much as Ryan wants to be helpful, he'll always eat more ice cream and drink more beer than I should. I guess that's the advantage of being 6'4''.
    When are you guys moving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always a New Year's Resolution type, but last year I only had three and I didn't accomplish any of them. This year we decided to have goals for where we want to be next year instead of resolutions to start tomorrow. It seemed more realistic to try to work for something rather than maintain something. But a few resolutions about yoga would have done me a lot of good as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...the metabolism of fury that Colin seems to have does not help my moderation in the least!
    We are tentatively planning on moving by mid April at the latest...so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're definitely looking forward to hanging out with you guys more. We've talked about how fun it would be to have a rotating weekend brunch or something ... some regular time where we could get some families together and hang out, chat, and laugh at and with our children. We're hoping that might entice the Culvers and Parkers back too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry...it's enticement aplenty. Now if you could just throw a job into the mix and convince grandparents that we don't need to live near them! (And I am SO, SO thrilled that you have started this blog! Best resolution yet as far as the rest of us are concerned!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm sure the job thing is kind of discouraging sometimes. Having never had jobs that weren't readily available anywhere, we've never really had to deal with that one. If Sacred Heart only knew what it was missing!

    ReplyDelete