"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

07 March 2010

Conversation with Soren

I spent one afternoon last week with Soren, Elliot, and Penny while Marianne went to use a spa gift. Lovely hair, by the way! It was nice to have some comic relief amidst the chaos. Moms are amazing, period. But I think moms with more than kids than they have arms are especially amazing. In between juggling naps and questions from the boys, I had this funny conversation with Soren that made me laugh.

Me: Do you guys want some milk with your snack?
Soren: Do you get milk from my mom?
Me: No, I get milk from a different farmer in Junction City.
Soren: No, we can't drink it.
Me: Well, I get raw milk from cows just like you guys do. It's just from different cows. I think it's ok for you to drink it.
Soren: What do your cows look like?
Me: I think they're brown and white. What do your cows look like?
Soren: Well ... (complicated description I can't quite remember that included specific shades of brown on specific parts of the cows' bodies)
Me: That sounds like my cows. I think you can probably drink my milk.
Soren: Do you have a picture of your cows?
Me: Hmmm. Yeah. I can get one on the computer. (I found a picture on the farm's website.)
Soren: Those don't look like my cows. Sorry Jen, we can't drink your milk.
Me: Ok Soren. Do you guys want water?
Boys: Yeah.
(I get them water.)
Me: Do you guys want to share a banana?
Soren: Where do you buy your bananas, Jen?
Me: Capellas
Soren: We can't eat your bananas.
Me: (Ah-ha, I'm catching on!) Where do you get your bananas?
Soren: Market of Choice
Me: (Wondering how far logic will take me) Well, I'm pretty sure Market of Choice and Capellas buy bananas from the same banana farm. I think it's ok for you to eat my bananas if you want some.
Soren: Oh! We shop at Cabellas too! But mama only buys bananas from Market of Choice.
Me: (Alas, conviction wins over logic.) Oh, so you can't eat my bananas?
Soren: No.

As one would expect, that Scrivner boy sure knows that food source is important! Way to go Marianne :)

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I am so glad you posted this. He has doubled-checked with me a few times now on what the better questions are to ask "grass-fed Jersey milk?" and "organic banana's?" and tonight I read his this and he laughed a hearty belly laugh and said "WE buy bananas from Capella's TOO!"

    Milk is the one thing I truly don't allow them to have at other people's houses (unless it's real). He is now quite clear that he can have milk AND banana's at your house next time (that is, if you are willing to be so daring again!)

    Thank you so much for watching them all for me! I think it is far more daring to jump from 1 to 4. I've gradually waded into this chaos and acclimated. I don't think I would have volunteered when I only had 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. It was fun. Your children really are very wonderful, especially in their curiosity! I'm glad he enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete