"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

05 March 2010

Pause Button

I want a remote control for life at this moment. I want to pause her as she plays on the floor, clapping together little wooden blocks, rocking back and forth to the music, and making her own sounds as if to sing along. She studies the dots on the bottom of an animal. She puts it in her mouth and makes a face ... I used to like this? it seems to say. She looks at me and smiles, leans for the computer and giggles when I pull it away. She goes back to her rocking and clapping. She is perfect and beautiful, and I look at her knowing that this is a perfect moment together. There will be many moments that are not so perfect, moments that are painful and sad. I wish I could rewind to this moment or fast-forward through those. But I can't. And I know why, but it doesn't make the longing for a pause button any less.

No comments:

Post a Comment