"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

17 March 2010

Crock Pot Yogurt

I got our crock pot out today for the first time since we got married 5 1/2 years ago. I figured out first crock pot dinner would be white bean chicken chili or a nice stew with chuck roast, potatoes, carrots, and onions. But no. My husband is not surprised, especially because of my recent "but I could make that!" kick.

I got our crock pot out today to make, of all things, yogurt. I'm all about high organization, low actual time commitment, and good, real food. Though we've been drinking raw milk, we eat yogurt made with pasteurized milk (don't know any way around that), so I decided that making yogurt with pasteurized milk wasn't so bad. I could make it with raw milk, but it would be pasteurized anyway because of the process required to make yogurt. Anyway ...

2 1/2 hours on low followed by 2 hours of just sitting there (crock pot off).








Wrapping her up for the night after adding in some live culture









Straining some of the whey off to make thicker yogurt. See Bittman's article on making greek yogurt in the NYT.
(I left some in the cheesecloth to make cheese.)






Yogurt with homemade granola, banana, and craisins for breakfast. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to use our crockpot :) Might try this for its introduction!

    ReplyDelete