"Live out of your imagination, not your history."
Stephen Covey

11 March 2010

Gynandromorphs

So apparently (because NPR's reporting it) there are rooster/chickens that are half male and half female. They're called gynandromorphs (well, the chickens and any other living thing that's 1/2 male and 1/2 female) but, after considering options such as rickens and choosters, I think they should be called chicksters.

Check out the gender-bending chickens.

But in all seriousness, it makes me wonder if we aren't messing with biology so much, treating life with such disrespect, that a chicken no longer knows if it's chicken or a rooster. Maybe there's a good, healthy scientific explanation (NPR didn't really go there), or maybe it's the sad way we treat the chickens.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh I find that disturbing too. But I guess I would hope there was a reason that they did it, not just because they could?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes. And I like Chicksters....not that I'm condoning the creation of half male half female anything.

    ReplyDelete